A Pretty Wearable That’s Fit for A Woman’s Healthy Lifestyle
I’ve been on the fence for some time about wearables–I have family and friends who are avid fans of FitBits. But I just couldn’t see myself wearing one because they don’t fit my personal lifestyle as a mother of 4. I use MapMyRun for tracking my runs and MapMyHike for tracking my hikes. Being able to see my routes is key when I want to do them again or share them with others. Now that I’ve incorporated meditation into my daily ritual, the LEAF is the perfect wearable not only for my physical well-being but my mental well-being.
When I came across the LEAF by Bella Beat, it was out of pure curiosity. The beautiful leaf design is what captured my eye–it looks as if anyone who wore it was from another planet or from a different time. (This is just my “sci-fimagination” taking over a bit.) It comes in rose gold and silver. I started doing more research and one of the things I love about it, is its overall message. The LEAF by Bella Beat promotes healthy living by tracking your daily activity from sleeping, to meditating, to your period cycle, to active steps. You sync it using its app counterpart LEAF. By syncing at least twice a day, it’s able to keep a battery life up to 6 months. It is the epitome of what I thought smart jewelry is.
This is what comes in the box when I got the LEAF (I chose the rose gold):
- 1 LEAF
- Battery Replacement Tool
- User Manual
- Brown leather bracelet
Here are some of the LEAF app’s key features that stand out to me after a week of use:
- Accurately tracks sleep cycle from time you fall asleep to time you wake up
- Accurately describes your daily steps and active time including a 7-day average
- Function for setting an alarm that vibrates gently to wake you up
- Can link other tracking apps directly from Apple Health via LEAF
- A period tracker! I love that I can track this in the same place as my activity
- Additional Meditation and breathing section that gives some great exercises that can help in coping with stress
- Helpful wellness tips that pop up from time to time
- Option to enter in activity manually for when you forget to wear
My personal favorite thing about wearing the LEAF is how aesthetically beautiful the design is. I can wear it three different ways depending on what I am doing. I can wear it as a necklace, on the wrist, or clipped on my waistband or shirt. The LEAF’s versatility does not affect the accuracy of how it tracks as far as I can tell. It is also not waterproof but it is “splash proof” and can manage sweat during workouts and more vigorous activity. I wore it hiking a few times already and have had no issues.
Here are some of my observations when using the LEAF:
- I had to play around with the bracelet that comes with the LEAF. I have slightly larger wrists, so I had to adjust the bracelet and tweak it a bit to keep it just right. I find the little loop that you slip the excess bracelet in, does not hold it well (I fidgeted with it from time to time throughout the day).
- When wearing at night, I find the best way is clipped to your top on a tighter-fitting tank or top. It doesn’t do so well clipped on looser clothes as it will hang off instead of being flush against your skin.
- You only need to tap the LEAF twice to sync with your app. If it doesn’t work the first time, the app will give you a friendly notification. No need to tap it to death!
- Research some other ways to wear the LEAF. I found Lady Leaf Co. an ETSY shop that sells beaded bracelets and accessories that might fit your style more. I love the accessories it came with, but I’m not gonna lie–I almost bought one to go with my stack of mala bracelets that I wear.
Have you heard of the Bella Beat? If you haven’t, head over to the Bella Beat website and check them out. If you own one, how has wearing it been beneficial to your health?